This is definitely one of the biggest weekends of the fall, as far as activities. We guarantee you won't be bored.
1. From 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, Elmhurst Jaycees will host its fourth annual pancake breakfast at Elmhurst Family Restaurant, 441 W. Lake St. Proceeds go toward purchasing items for United Community Concerns' holiday food drive. All-you-can-eat pancakes, coffee and soft drinks. Tickets are $10 at the door, children under 10 are $5.
2. After breakfast, head on over to York Road and the Prairie Path for Fall Fest, sponsored by the York & Vallette Business Association and Elmhurst Park District. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, enjoy treats, food and games, plus a visit to Safety Town. Pick a pumpkin to decorate and take home. Oh, and if you see a bunch of Elmhurst city and school officials on bikes, the depot is the launch point for their their annual bike ride at 2 p.m.
3. It's IC Catholic Prep's Homecoming! Pep Rally, football on Saturday, reunions and more.
4. African Drumming Event is sure to get your heart pounding at Luscombe Music, 122 W. Vallette, at 3 p.m. Saturday.
5. OK, this one is not exactly in Elmhurst, but it is right next door and too good not to pass along. It's the Greatest Ferret Show on Earth, at 10 a.m. Saturday, at the Odeum Expo Center in Villa Park. It's a fund-raiser for homeless ferrets.
6. Electronics and Metal Recycling will be held at 10 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 13, at Knights of Columbus, 537 S. York.
7. The clever little Moviefone widget will get you to the best new movies opening this weekend.
8. If you want to know the peak time to check out fall foliage, you can find a plethora of information here.
9. Be sure to check out our best picks for things to do in Chicago. The Chicago Marathon is Sunday, after all. Want to know the best viewing spots?
For everything Halloweenie, we've got you covered:
10. Haunted houses
12. Check out our cool apple picking map. It's not too late!