Saturday, Sept. 21
Spring Road Day!
Everybody loves Spring Road Day. Come on out to Spring and the Prairie Path between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. for tons of family fun: petting zoo, live music, snacks, moonjump, Elmhurst fire truck and more.
Up for a little drinkin' this weekend, are you? Well, what if we told you that you can get tipsy with a ready-made designated driver? The best part is, you'll be raising money for a great cause. Yep, it's a pub crawl.
The very first DuPage County Pub Crawl to benefit veterans will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday and go all day and night. Your $25 wristband donation includes the designated bus driver, who will get you to and from 21 DuPage County bars, a free T-shirt for those who pre-registered, and a chance to win up to $2,000. Proceeds benefit the Villa Park VFW Post 2801 and Save-A-Vet.org.
Some of the best bars in all of DuPage County are participating:
- VFW—29 E St Charles Road, Villa Park
- Demito Time—335 E Kenilworth Ave., Villa Park
- Josephine's—207 S Villa Ave., Villa Park
- Mahoney's—121 South Villa Ave., Villa Park
- Spring Inn—552 Spring Road, Elmhurst
- Doc Ryan's—490 Spring Road, Elmhurst
- Fitz's Spare Keys —119 N. York St., Elmhurst
- Fitz's Pub—172 N. Addison Ave., Elmhurst
- Macks Golden Pheasant—668 W. North Ave., Elmhurst
- JD Muggs—437 S. Addison Road, Addison
- Blue Line—475 S. Grace St., Addison
- Brauer House—1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard
- Otto's—433 Crescent Blvd., Lombard
- JT’s Porch Saloon—665 W. Roosevelt Road, Lombard
- Gnarly J’s—1211 Butterfield Road, Downers Grove
- Shanahans—2009 W. Ogden Ave., Downers Grove
- Q's Billiards—2145 63rd St., Downers Grove
- Bally Doyles—5157 Main St., Downers Grove
- Trademark Tavern—777 E. Butterfield Road, Lombard
- Ardmore Lounge—340 S. Ardmore Ave., Villa Park
- Fitz's Irish Bulldog—314 W. St. Charles Road, Villa Park
From 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., buses will run the bar route in a continuous loop, stopping at each bar within 25-minute intervals. For more information and all the little details, click here. Think you can make it the whole 12 hours?
If a pub crawl is not your thing, bring the family to the Elmhurst Park District's annual Fishing Derby at 10 a.m. at Eldridge Park Lagoon. There are rules about registration, and you must bring your own pole. Fee is only $8 for residents.
Elmhurst Art Museum's The EAM Collection opens quietly this Saturday. (The big opening celebration will be Sept. 28.) Inventory—The EAM Collection unpacks the museum's vault and fills the galleries from floor to ceiling with art and objects from its collection. Never before has the entire building been dedicated to EAM's holdings. This ambitious exhibition includes work spanning three centuries—all ripe for interpretation and discovery. Visit the Art Museum's website for more information.
Former Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh will also be holding a Town Hall from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Diplomat West Banquet Hall, 681 W. North Ave., Elmhurst.
Also on Saturday:
- Access Sports Equipment Drive beginning at 9 a.m. at York Commons Park
- Faith Christian Reformed Church annual golf outing, 1 p.m. at Maple Meadows Golf Club in Wood Dale
- Family Campout at Eldridge Park, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 22
The Rev. Al Sharpton will be the keynote speaker at the fourth annual Niebuhr Forum on Religion in Public Life at Elmhurst College. Sharpton is a Baptist minister, a veteran social activist, an outspoken radio and television host, and a former candidate for president. He is the founder and president of National Action Network, a nonprofit civil rights organization headquartered in New York City, with more than 60 chapters nationwide. He also is the host of the PoliticsNation, a television program on MSNBC that analyzes the top political and social news of the day, and he hosts nationally syndicated radio shows. The forum will begin at 7 p.m. in Hammerschmidt Memorial Chapel, 190 Prospect Ave. Admission is $20 for the general public and free for Elmhurst College students, faculty, staff and alumni. Tickets are available at the door or by visiting www.elmhurst.edu/tix. For more information, call (630) 617-3390.
Also on Sunday:
- Susan G. Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure, 6:30 a.m., Yorktown, Lombard
- Lyric Opera lecture: Otello by Giuseppe Verdi, 2:30 p.m. at Elmhurst Public Library