By Alan Brinkmeier
York High School Girls Swimming and Diving started the 2013 competition season with a convincing win over West Chicago/Batavia Coop Sept. 4 in West Chicago. The varsity Dukes highlight was a victorious 125 to 58 score in the away dual meet. The meet ended with a 400 freestyle relay performance that put the final stamp on the outcome. York senior Hannah Nolte (57.69), senior Perri Brinkmeier (57.27), junior Paige Jaeger (58.57) and junior Jessica Wolfe (56.23) 3:49.14.
For the dual meet the individual varsity event winning results were:
- 200 freestyle: junior Allison Brodt (York) 2:04.95
- 200 IM: senior Hannah Nolte (York) 2:18.50
- 50 freestyle: junior Jessica Woolfe (York) 25.33
- Diving: junior Leah Young (York) 153.93
- 100 butterfly: Paula Konopko (West Chicago) 1:06.71
- 100 freestyle: Woolfe (York) 55.76
- 500 freestyle: Brodt (York) 5:37.55
- 100 backstroke: H. Nolte (York)1:02.74
- 100 breaststroke: sophomore Paula Nolte (York) 1:12.36
In a strong team performance, York had event sweeps for the top three finishes in many events. York swept the 100 freestyle winning the first three spots with sophomore Maggie Schlecht taking second and Brinkmeier third. York also captured the top three spots in the 50 freestyle, with Schlecht and Jaeger completing the sweep. The Dukes took the top three spots in the diving competition with senior Anna Kirschbaum taking second and freshman Katie Fischer taking third.
York’s relay teams got the season's opening meet off to an impressive start, with the Varsity 200 medley relay by H. Nolte, P. Nolte, Katie Sullivan and Woolfe. And the 200 freestyle relay posted a winning time of 1:45.49: Brinkmeier (26.29), P. Nolte (26.71), Jaeger (26.74), Schlecht (26.15).