Elmhurst police have announced the 15th session of the Citizen Police Academy, a 12-week program designed to give residents a working knowledge of law enforcement.
The program, which began in 2000, is offered free of charge and is limited to 25 students per session. One block of instruction is offered each week, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 11, through Nov. 27. Classes will be held at the Elmhurst Police Department's training room, at 125 E. First St.
Each block of instruction will provide an in-depth view of how a particular division of the department functions. Classes offered include:
- Overview of the Elmhurst Police Department
- Traffic Stops
- Interviewing and Investigations
- Evidence/Crime Scene Analysis
- Laws of Arrest, Search and Seizure
- Community Oriented Policing/Narcotics and Gang Awareness/K-9
- DUI/Traffic Laws and Roadblocks
- DARE Program/Financial crimes
- Defensive Tactics
- Emergency Response Team/Crisis Negotiations
- Firearms Training
- Graduation Banquet
To sign up online, visit the police academy web page, or call Cmdr. Robert Nicholas at (630) 530-3050.