As an uncertain economy affects more and more workers, the Elmhurst has seen a significant increase in the number of families who seek its services.
“Weekly visitors at the food pantry have increased approximately 20 percent over the past year, with nearly 255 families representing 935 individuals served in August,” said Rev. Michael A. Toburen, pastor at , which hosts the food pantry at 1099 S. York Road in Elmhurst. “This has pushed our monthly budget requirement up to $4,000. The pantry is run completely by volunteers and needs help from the community to continue meeting demand."
Clients may visit the pantry monthly on a first-come, first-served basis during open hours:
- Thursday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Monday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Any resident of Addison, Bensenville, Elmhurst, Lombard, Oak Brook, and Villa Park may use the pantry.
“The groceries we provide can make a big difference in helping families use the cash they have to pay rent, mortgage and utility bills,” Toburen said. “Our clients are individuals and families just like yours who you could not pick out in a crowd. For many, the assistance is temporary. Once they get back on their feet, past clients often send cash donations or return to volunteer in the Food Pantry to pay back the gifts they have received.”
There are four ways for the community to help:
- Refer a client—Encourage those in need, even temporarily, to seek assistance from the food pantry.
- Donate cash—All donated funds go toward food purchases. Mail checks and gift cards to Elmhurst Yorkfield Food Pantry, 1099 S. York Road, Elmhurst, IL 60126. The pantry is run through Yorkfield Presbyterian Church, a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- Volunteer—No previous training is necessary. You can pack bags or work with clients as they select their groceries. Help also is needed to unload delivery trucks and pick up produce.
- Donate food and supplies—The food pantry accepts any amount, from one jar of peanut butter to a jumbo pack of toilet paper. Drop off your donations any time at the food pantry entrance located just north of the main church building. If you have a large donation or would like to arrange a food drive, please call (630) 858-6326 to coordinate.
The Elmhurst Yorkfield Food Pantry thanks the many generous donors of cash and groceries, including The Grainger Foundation, which recently made a $5,000 donation to the Northern Illinois Food Bank to assist the Elmhurst Yorkfield Food Pantry.
For more information on how you can help, call (630) 858-6326.