The Elmhurst Police Department is looking for police officer candidates.Applications are available at www.selectionworks.biz, and the application deadline is 5 p.m. Dec. 2. Candidates must pay a $35 nonrefundable application fee and meet the following requirements:
- citizen of the United States
- high school diploma or equivalent high school education
- at least 20 years old, and younger than 35, at time of application, or as otherwise exempt by statute
- 45 semester hours of college credit from a regionally accredited college or university–original, official transcripts required by application deadline
- valid driver’s license
- valid peace officer wellness evaluation report issued by testing date, Dec. 21
- POWER test cards considered valid if issued within six months prior to testing date
POWER tests may be taken at one of the following testing agencies:
- NIPSTA, Glenview, www.nipsta.org
- Joliet Junior College, contact Janet Graham at 815-280-2674
- Triton College, 2000 Fifth Ave., River Grove, 708-456-0300, www.triton.edu/power
Applicants will be awarded preference points for active duty military service and level of college education.
All portions of the testing process are mandatory. Failure to attend and complete any portion of the process will result in elimination from employment consideration.
Written exam and orientation will be Saturday, Dec. 21, at York High School, 355 W. St. Charles Road, Elmhurst. The process will consist of two tests: a traditional police officer examination that assesses cognitive ability and behavioral characteristics and a scenario-based skills assessment that assesses job-related skills.