The excitement and anticipation is building as the countdown to the Sept. 15 Miss America pageant begins. But this isn't just any Miss America competition, because competing from our home state of Illinois is none other than Elmhurst resident Brittany Smith.
- Hometown: Elmhurst, Illinois
- Age: 23
- Education: York High School, Purdue University
- Platform Issue: STEM - Taking the PULSE of American Healthcare
- Scholastic Ambition: To attend physician assistant graduate school
- Talent: Irish dance
- Scholastic Honors: Dean's list at Purdue University 2008-2012; Jenny Helms Scholarship; Purdue All American Marching Band, awarded for academic achievement, character, and campus involvement; Golden Key Honor Society, Purdue University; Representative of Health and Human Sciences Committee, Purdue University; National Honor Society; President's Award for Educational Achievement
- Career Ambition: To become a physician assistant
Brittany and 52 other contestants arrived in Atlantic City, N.J., on Sept. 3. Since the arrival ceremony, and through the live broadcast on ABC at 8 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 15, the contestants, are enjoying a whirlwind of activity. According to the Miss America Facebook page, they have participated in video shoots, public appearances, interviews with judges, media interviews, dining and dancing, shopping and a whole lot more.
There is still time to vote for Brittany as your favorite 2014 Miss America contestant. Visit the Miss America website, where each contestant has posted a video about themselves and their causes, and vote for your favorite. Only one vote per person is allowed, and voting closes at 10:59 p.m. Central time on Thursday, Sept. 12.
The Miss America Organization is one of the nation's leading achievement programs and the world's largest provider of scholarship assistance for young women. Last year, the Miss America Organization and its state and local organizations made available more than $45 million in scholarship assistance. Check out Miss America facts and figures here.