Invite a friend
Adventures in Candyland: Small Batch Candy Making
Today, Thursday, Aug. 9, Third-generation candy maker Amy Wertheim of R.G.W. Candy Company will share the company’s tradition of making small batch, hand-dipped chocolates, toffees, caramels and more on the family farm in downstate Illinois since 1942.
Find out how a small-town company brings their hand-crafted products to market. And yes, samples will be available for tasting. Part of the ongoing “It’s History” series of adult programs held in the Education Center.
More About Elmhurst Historical Museum
The Elmhurst Historical Museum provides a permanent exhibit chronicling Elmhurst's modernization, as well as many temporary and traveling exhibits. The permanent collection includes more than 15,000 artifacts, such as letters, historic photos, books and other items. The museum is housed in the Glos Mansion, which is a historical masterpiece itself. The museum opened in 1957 on the third floor of the mansion, which also housed City Hall at the time. The mansion was built in 1892 and was home to the village's first president, Henry Glos, and his wife, Lucy. Elmhurst Historical Museum offers special programs for adults and students, including Tea Time Talks and Sunday Funday activities. The Elmhurst Heritage Foundation is the fund-raising arm of the museum, acting as an advocate to the museum and the Churchville One-Room Schoolhouse, which is scheduled to open to the public in fall 2010 after a major renovation. The schoolhouse, located on Church Road in Bensenville, was built around 1850 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.