In my first blog, I received a lot of questions around alarms and other things for home security, but so far, no one has brought up door hardware. Here are a few things to think about when evaluating your entry doors.
- Entry doors should always be a solid core or metal.
- Hinges should NEVER be on the outside of the door.
- The "throw" of the deadbolt (a.k.a the latch) should be at least 1 inch in length.
- Always use a heavy duty, good quality deadbolt.
- Use at least four heavy duty, 3-inch-long wood screws to secure the strike plate to the wooden door frame.
The quickest and easiest to take care of yourself is #5. Almost always, the forced entry point of a door is the door jamb, where the strike is. Reinfocing it with 3-inch-long wood screws will make it more difficult to kick in and more likely to take a beating.
Just some food for thought. Thank You for reading and remember, tell a friend.