Never mind where September went. Get ready to hit October full-force and sneak in some fun before it's time to rake leaves. Plan your weekend in Elmhurst here, or visit Patch's events calendar for even more events coming up.
Friday, Oct. 1
• It's Homecoming weekend for Immaculate Conception High School, and the Knights will be facing off against Aurora Central Catholic High School. The junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m., and the varsity game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. at Lewis Stadium in Plunkett Park. At halftime, the Homecoming Queen and her Court will be introduced.
• "Sweeney Todd," the delightful and frightful musical tale of the murderous barber in 19th century London mixes a dark and bloody tale set to music by the incomparable Stephen Sondheim. Performances tonight and Saturday night at the Elmhurst College Mill Theatre, 253 Walter St. Performances start at 8 p.m.; $5 student, $7 general admission. Call (630) 617-3005.
Saturday, Oct. 2
• Calling all BMX bikers! Come to the Skate Park at York Commons for the first-ever BMX competition hosted by the Elmhurst Park District. The three events featured are half-pipe, best trick, and free ride. Competitors can check-in at 10 a.m., and the contest will start at 11 a.m. Come and compete, or just sit and enjoy the show. York Commons, 665 S. York St.; contact Matt Poole, (630) 993-8980. Free.
• The highly anticipated Toy and Equipment Sale at Epiphany Evangelical Lutheran Church is Saturday morning from 8 - 11 a.m. Gently used children's toys, games, books, baby and sporting equipment, bedding and infant accessories will be sold at great prices. No refunds, returns or exchanges. 314 W. Vallette St., (630) 832-8457.
Sunday, Oct. 3
• Stop by Elmhurst Fire Station No. 2 between 12 and 4 p.m. for its annual open house during Fire Prevention Week. You'll hardly realize you're learning something serious at this fun event. Tour the fire station, meet real emergency responders and watch a car extrication demonstration. Elmhurst Fire Station No. 2, 601 S. York St. Call (630) 530-3000 or visit www.elmhurst.org.