There's No Better Way to Say 'I Love You Mom' Than With a Gift That's Healthy
Help make Mother's Day healthy and happy with these gift ideas.
Whether she’s 25 or 65, every mother deserves to feel healthy, energetic and peaceful. A mother can’t possibly take care of her family if she doesn’t first take care of herself. Why not get a Mother’s Day gift that will allow her to recharge and restore her health and wellness?
For the New Mother
When my son was a baby, I would feel incredibly guilty leaving him with a babysitter so that I could go exercise. But I desperately needed that time to take care of myself and my health. A new mom will appreciate convenient and efficient alternatives to the health club.
- If she’s a runner or walker, get her a baby jogger. The baby will be lulled to sleep while she gets her cardio workout.
- For at-home strength training, try the home version of the popular TRX bodytrainer. This innovative piece, invented by the Navy Seals, uses your body weight for resistance and can be used to train every muscle group. Bonus: it is excellent for conditioning one’s core as well and doesn’t take up a lot of room.
- Why not hire a personal trainer to come to her home? They can design a personalized workout that utilizes her time efficiently while effectively progressing toward her goals.
For the Mom Constantly on Her Feet
Pamper mom with an indulgent foot reflexology session at My Happy Feet in Villa Park. In reflexology, it is believed that each pressure point of your foot corresponds to a different organ and muscle of the body. Applying pressure and massage to the foot can relieve ailments and pain in the whole body. And it just plain feels great as well. A 40-minute session includes a head and neck massage in a zen atmosphere, all for $25.
For the Flower-loving Mom
Treat mom to an exotic and beautiful orchid. This hauntingly sultry flower will star as the centerpiece of her outside garden in the summer and make a unique indoor houseplant in winter. Orchids by Hausermann, located just north of North Avenue in Villa Park, is one of the largest growers of orchids in the Midwest. Their knowledgeable staff can assist you in choosing the perfect species and instruct you in caring for it.
For the New Empty-nester Mom
Now that the kids are gone, she may find she has more time on her hands. Help her discover a new hobby or activity; give her a gift certificate to a yoga studio, a new bike or tennis lessons to help her discover a new interest.
For the Mom Interested in Healthy Cooking
There are a lot of great tools and items that Mom will appreciate.
- A vegetable spiral slicer will help her cut vegetables like zucchini into pasta ribbons for healthy meals.
- Mom can get extra servings of fruit and vegetables by juicing daily with the Breville juicer. My daily juice gives me extra energy and vitality. I’ll throw in an apple, some spinach, kale and carrots to make a fresh and healthy drink loaded with antioxidants and vitality.
- Head to Whole Foods and buy an assortment of foods and condiments for a healthy gift basket, such as organic wines, Braggs amino acids, gourmet extra virgin olive oil, seaweed wraps for making sushi, and an assortment of fine vinegars, such as balsamic, champagne and apple cider vinegar.
Other great gift ideas include a Thai bodywork massage from Blissed Out; a gift certificate to a local boot camp; a gift certificate to Runners’ Soul or Fleet Feet in Elmhurst; or a weekend getaway to the Heartland Spa in Gilman, where she can jump start her healthy living and exercise routine.
Happy Mother’s Day to one and all!