Six Elmhurst homes will be dressed to the nines with whimsical and elegant holiday decor for Elmhurst Memorial Hospital Guild's 36th annual Reindeer Route Housewalk.
This long-standing Elmhurst tradition, coming up this Friday, Dec. 7, serves to make the holidays a little brighter for children who have to stay at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital. Participants are asked to bring a new, unwrapped toy for the hospital's young patients in the emergency and pediatric units who are unable to go home for Christmas.
“Children look forward to the holidays all year, but sometimes that holiday can’t be spent at home.” said Lucette Gregory, assistant manager of pediatrics at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital. “Providing the highest level of care is just as important as making our patients and their family feel comfortable during their stay. The toy donations that come from this event make holidays in hospital feel more like home.”
Kick Off for Kids Co-founder Mike La Spisa already dropped off a load of toys Nov. 27 to support the cause. Kick Off for Kids is an Elmhurst nonprofit that works to enrich the lives of all children in Elmhurst and surrounding communities.
Dec. 7 is fast approaching. Advance tickets cost $25 and can be purchased at The Pink Elephant Resale Shop, Wild Rose Floral and Gift Shop at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, Carousel Flowers, Phillip's Flowers, The Uptown Shop, RedE Boutique and Salon Efthimia.
Tickets also can be purchased by calling Tracey Lupa at (630) 292-1812.
On the day of the Housewalk, tickets are $30 and can be purchased at any of the featured homes:
- 611 S. Cambridge Ave., decorated by Blossoms and Branches
- 415 W. Second St., decorated by Carousel Flowers
- 174 Larch Avenue, decorated by Shamrock Garden Florist Ltd.
- 310 Adelia St., decorated by Topiary
- 182 Maple Ave., decorated by A Stem Above
- 223 W. St. Charles Road, decorated by Phillips Flowers and Uptown Shop
Housewalk hours are from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and from 6 to 9 p.m. All proceeds benefit the projects and programs of Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare.
Housewalk participants are also invited to gather on the day of the event for several special offers from the following Elmhurst restaurants:
- Café Amano, 105 S. York Road in Elmhurst, will offer a high tea for $10 from 2 to 4 p.m. Call (630) 279-9333 for reservations.
- Francesca’s Amici, 174 North York Road in Elmhurst, will offer a special luncheon for $15 from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and a complementary glass of house wine from 3 to 6 p.m. Reservations are required by calling (630) 279-7970.
- 100 South Chop House, 100 S York St., will also offer a special luncheon for $15 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Reservations are required by calling (630) 782-9091.
- Roberto’s Ristorante, 483 Spring Road in Elmhurst, will offer a complimentary glass of wine after 9 p.m.