Olympian Chellsie Memmel in Elmhurst Thursday
Memmel will sign autographs and pose for pictures.
Chellsie Memmel, 2005 World Champion gymnast and 2008 Olympic medalist, will speak at 4 p.m. Thursday, July 26, at the Wagner Community Center, 615 N. West Ave.
Memmel became a two-time world champion in 2003 at age 15. In 2008, competing with a broken ankle, she and her USA Women's Gymnastics Team took silver at the Olympics in Beijing.
She has won numerous awards and accolades throughout her career, as listed on her official website:
- 2008 Olympic Team Silver Medalist
- 2006 World Silver Medal - Team
- 2005 All Around World Champion
- 2005 World Silver Medalist - Beam
- 2005 World Silver Medalist - Bars
- 2005 Olympic Team Alternate
- 2004 World Cup Champion - Bars
- 2003 World Cup Champion - Bars
- 2003 World Champion Gold Medal Team
- 2003 Pam American Games All Around Champion
Memmel is tied with Shawn Johnson as the fifth most decorated U.S. female gymnast of all time.
Memmel lost her bid to compete in the 2012 Olympics after scoring 11.95 at the U.S. championships in St. Louis. Her career has been plagued by injury. In addition to her broken ankle, she suffered a tear in her shoulder that required surgery, according to Sports Illustrated.
"I have no regrets about trying to come back," she said in a statement last month on the USA Gymnastics website. "I got back into gymnastics shape after my February surgery, and I am happy with what I have accomplished, my gymnastics career and everything I was able to do."
All are welcome to meet Memmel, get her autograph and take pictures.