Elmhurst's Jae Wilkins Sings Her Way Into the Spotlight at ABC7's Windy City Live
Wilkins made it to the finals in the Search for a Star contest and has a shot at winning a car.
- January 31, 2013
Jae Wilkins of Elmhurst began singing at age 4 when her mom introduced her to iconic female singers Chaka Khan, Phyllis Hyman, Patty LaBelle, and later, Whitney Houston.
Now at age 32, she's still singing. In fact, she was just named a finalist in Windy City Live's Search for a Star competition on ABC7.
Not bad for a shy talent who never sang for anyone other than family, until she emerged from her shell in 2006. With no performing experience, she placed second in a singing contest that year, then she came in third in another contest in 2008. Just about a year ago, she decided to really push herself into the spotlight, auditioning for the hit TV show, "The Voice."
She is currently working with a few song writers and musicians to create her own music and collaborate on their upcoming projects.
All 12 finalists will perform on the Windy City Live stage in a "battle round" at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 6. Viewers will vote on her performance and determine whether she will advance to the final round on Thursday, Feb. 21.
The Singing Star will win a Mazda6 and a chance for other opportunities and prizes.
See More on Patch
- Elmhurst Animal Care Center Signs on to Help Human Clients Fight Cancer [VIDEO]
- Young Elmhurst Historians Wanted for Annual Ruth Strand Poster Contest
- Pulitzer Winner Vargas Discusses Life as Undocumented Immigrant at Elmhurst College
- York Alum’s Face Hawks Augustana College on North Avenue Billboard
- Get Your Green On: It's Almost Time for Elmhurst's 17th Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade!
Most Popular articles
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women in Bathroom at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital
- DuPage DUI Arrests, May 19 Edition
- Former Baseball Coach, Arrested in Elmhurst Last Year, Filmed Sex Acts with Player, Lawsuit Alleges
- New Construction, Custom Details For $989,000
- Feds Charge Elmhurst Woman with Healthcare Fraud