The Junior Unit of the Elmhurst Memorial Hospital Guild hosted the 35th annual Reindeer Route Housewalk on Friday, Dec. 2.
The walk featured six homes in Elmhurst, ranging from an 1890 brick home to a new construction just completed in 2010.
The event raised more than $20,000 for the Hospital Guild.
According Junior Unit President Gigi Owens, the money raised goes toward funding guidance center and behavioral health services, community-based health education programs, like the learning center for diabetes and a cancer survivor day celebration, and funding home health and hospice services. Each year, the Guild also awards six scholarships to teens wishing to pursue careers in health care.
Owens says the success of the event is largely due to the willingness of the homeowners to share their homes with the public, as well as the florists who donate the breathtaking decorations. The volunteer Hospital Guild works all year on the Reindeer Route.
"So many people work on this event," said Owens. "It's all for a great cause."
This year's featured homes:
- Mark and Rosie Anglewicz, 188 Elmhurst Ave. (Decorated by The Uptown Shop)
- Kate and Jason Caliento, 409 Mitchell (Decorated by Luurs Garden & Flower Shoppe)
- Alison and Pete Dondlinger, 508 Stratford (Decorated by A Stem Above)
- Pam and Damon Simpson, 285 S. Poplar Ave. (Decorated by Carousel Flowers)
- Kelly and Chris Smith, 187 W. Vallette (Decorated by Phillips)
- Lynn and Gene Suwanski, OS568 Cedar Ave. (Decorated by Shamrock Gardens)