Last-minute gift shopping can add stress to the holidays, but never fear. Elmhurst Historical Museum has a few ideas for unique stocking stuffers and hostess gifts that reflect local heritage and are easy to pick up with one quick stop.
Here are 10 suggestions from Elmhurst Historical Museum staff that are available in the museum's gift shop and perfect for last-minute gifts:
1. Churchville Schoolhouse Ornament: A lovely brass ornament featuring the historic Churchville Schoolhouse, a National Register of Historic Places property that reopened this year, is on sale for only $6. It's a perfect teacher gift.
2. Visionary: An Elmhurst Retrospective: The handsome art book format of this award-winning book, written by local historian Virginia Stewart, includes many historical photographs and interesting artifacts from the museum's collections.
3. Cards: Holiday cards featuring museum artifacts, plus note cards and post cards depicting local landmarks, are ideal for sending and receiving.
4. Historical Toys: A variety of historical toys such as quilting kits, chalkboard sets, sewing cards, pick-up sticks and small wooden toys are great stocking stuffers for children.
5. TV Magic Cards and Kits: Aspiring magicians will be happy to receive Marshall Brodien's TV Magic Cards or official magic sets under the tree.
6. Coffee Mugs: Ceramic mugs depicting a scene from York Street in the 1920s make a beautiful hostess gift.
7. Local Artists Collection: Hand-painted ornaments by Linda Mierendorf, pottery vases and soap dishes by Teri Litavisky, watercolor note cards by Myrle Howell and tiny paintings by Karen Exiner offer special gifts that support local artists.
8. Museum Logo Items: Tee shirts, aprons and mugs featuring the Elmhurst Historical Museum logo would make any Elmhurst resident proud.
9. Elmhurst Coverlet: A warm, cozy blanket depicting sights around Elmhurst is a thoughtful memento commemorating the city's 100th year.
10. Membership: A membership in the Elmhurst Heritage Foundation supports the Elmhurst Historical Museum and the Churchville Schoolhouse, and offers many benefits including discounts for museum programs, members-only events and more. A membership gift supports "Our Town, Our History and Our Heritage," and can be purchased in the gift shop or online at www.elmhurstheritagefoundation.org.
Wrap up a little Elmhurst history this holiday season. The Elmhurst Historical Museum gift shop, located at 120 E. Park Ave. in downtown Elmhurst, is open Tuesday through Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. Complimentary gift wrapping is available. Call the museum at (630) 833-1457 or go to www.elmhursthistory.org for more information.