ComEd Estimates 90 Percent of Outages Will Be Restored by Midnight Tonight
Elmhurst is in a "Near West Region" pool of 11,300 households still without power.
UPDATE 4:20 p.m. Thursday: Power has been restored at all District 205 schools, including York High School, which has been shuttered for the last two days due to electrical outages. District email and phone service has also been restored. Information on how administrators of York High School summer academic programs will deal with the two days of lost time will be emailed to affected families within a few days.
EARLIER: As of 9:45 a.m. Thursday, ComEd is reporting 11,300 customers still don’t have power in the Near West Region, which includes Elmhurst and suburbs just west of Chicago.
ComEd spokesmen say they cannot provide Elmhurst-specific numbers, but that Elmhurst, along with Des Plaines, Mount Prospect and Skokie, is among the hardest hit by the storm.
Residents on East Madison Street said they heard a loud explosion Wednesday night at around 8 p.m.; this was preceded by a brief restoration of power.
A call to ComEd indicates that crews have investigated the incident and “additional resources are needed to restore power” in that area, but that it is expected to be repaired by this evening.
Elmhurst Unit District 205 reported late last night that all the district's schools, except for Bryan Middle School and York High School, have been restored. Summer programs hosted at Bryan and York, including classes, athletic and music camps and practices, have been canceled. Programs in the other schools are being held today, Thursday, June 23.
Residents can call 800-EDISON1 or log on to comed.com to get the latest storm restoration information for their area.
The biggest obstacle for crews is the variety of factors affecting the outages, ComEd Spokesman Tony Hernandez said Thursday. Falling trees damaged hundreds of power lines and blocked access for crews.
“We’ve had lots of equipment damage, including power lines and transformers due to the sustained winds clocked in excess of 80 miles per hour and the heavy rain,” he said. “In addition, as trees were coming down, in some cases they were blocking access for our crews to start restoration efforts. There has been a number of different factors related to the extent of the storm.”
Hernandez said ComEd is looking to have 90 percent of its customers back on the grid by “around midnight” Thursday and the remaining 10 percent restored sometime Friday.
“Every case is unique,” he said. “ But the good news is, we have a very good track record for storm restoration and we’ve had nearly 700 crews working around the clock to restore power as safely and quickly as possible.”
The National Weather Service confirmed two tornadoes were spotted Tuesday night—in Mt. Prospect and Downers Grove—but none were reported in Elmhurst.
A total of 92,000 customers in Northern Illinois still don’t have power, and 341,000 homes have been restored.
The greatest number of outages are in the North Region, bordered by Evanston on the south and the Wisconsin state line on the north, which still has 73,000 customers without power.
All customers have been restored in the West Region, which is bordered by I-59 on the east and the Iowa border on the west.