Apartment Fire in Downtown Elmhurst Thursday Catches Napping Man by Surprise
No injuries were reported.
A fire broke out in an apartment on the 100 block of West First Street at about 12:40 p.m. Thursday, May 31.
According to a police report released on Friday, a man in the apartment said he was woken up by the smell of smoke coming from the kitchen, but he fell back asleep again. He was woken a second time because the smoke became very thick. Police said the man appeared to be intoxicated.
The man attempted to put the fire out by spraying water on it, which "caused it to grow quickly." The man told police he had no idea how the fire started. An investigation determined the fire started in a drawer and worked its way up through the counter top, and then to the wall and cabinets.
TribLocal is reporting that the apartment is over a dry cleaners and that damage is about $3,500.
No one was injured.