Elmhurst kids may want to carefully guard their Halloween candies when they return home from trick-or-treating. That's because most Chicago area moms take some of their kids' loot, based on the results of a new survey.
The SUPERVALU® Halloween Moms Survey, taken by the parent company of JEWEL-OSCO®, asked Chicago area moms about their own and their kids' Halloween preferences and habits. The survey found that 92 percent of local moms raid their kids candy bags after they've returned from trick-or-treating, while the remaining 8 percent of moms do not. Local moms say that Snickers are their favorite candy, as well as their kids' favorite.
Moms' next most popular candies are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (12 percent), and Almond Joy (5 percent). Moms say that their kids favorite candies are Snickers (22 percent); Gummi Bears (16 percent), and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (11 percent).
Area moms would be glad to have a professional athlete, Lady Gaga or President Obama visit their home for Halloween. The survey asked moms who they would most like to have come to their house for trick-or-treating, and Sports Player (15 percent) was the leading response, followed by Lady Gaga (14 percent), and President Obama (10 percent).
“It’s clear from the survey that the entire family likes to treat themselves — literally and figuratively — on Halloween,” said Jeff Strawn, SUPERVALU’s director of candy. “According to the National Retail Federation, consumers are expected to spend about $21 each on Halloween candy this year.”
The online survey was conducted October 19 to 23, 2011, and the target audience was moms with kids of trick-or-treating age living at home. Moms in Chicago and other cities nationwide were surveyed, and the national results were comparable to the local results.